The William Alywn Festival 2014, Suffolk, 5-11 October 2014
Published: Thursday 25th Sep 2014
Written by: Maddie Darrell
The William Alywn Festival 2014 takes place in the beautiful Suffolk coastal area between 5th and 11th October 2014 and celebrates the music of this prolific composer who lived in Blythburgh for the last 25 years of his life.
William Alywn, a talented flautist, poet and Royal Academy of Music student, composed an extensive orchestral repertoire during his lifetime including Sinfoniettas for string, chamber music and piano concertos. Alywyn also composed many pieces for the silver screen and wrote over 70 film scores including The Crimson Pirate, Shake Hands with the Devil, The Rocking Horse Winner, The Black Tent and The Running Man.
This year’s festival features poetry recitals, string quartets, orchestral concerts and piano recitals across several beautiful venues across Suffolk including St Edmund’s Church in Southwold, Holy Trinity Church in Blythburgh and St Bartholomew’s Church, Orford. The iconic seaside town of Southwold will also be hosting a Festival reception and lunch in addition to a morning coffee recital at St Edmund’s Church. To celebrate William Alywn’s film scores, the programme also includes a feature film in Southold’s iconic Electric Picture Place.
Festival tickets are available from Southwold Tourist Information Centre, tel: 01502 724729 or from the Aldeburgh Music Box Office, tel: 01728 687110. If you are looking for self-catering accommodation over the festival period, don’t hesitate to contact Southwold Lettings on tel: 01502 724729.
5th October 2014
6:00pm: Festival Evensong, Holy Trinity Church, Blythburgh
9th October 2014
- 12:30pm: Festival Reception, The Reading Room, Swan Hotel, Southwold
- 3:00pm: Feature Film – The Card (1952), The Electric Picture Palace, Southwold
- 7:30pm: Piano Recital by Nathan Williamson, St Edmund’s Church, Southwold
10th October 2014
- 10:30am: Morning Coffee Recital, St Edmund’s Church, Southwold
- 12.45-2pm: Festival Lunch, Coasters, Queen Street, Southwold
- 3:00pm: William Alwyn and His Poetry, The Reading Room, Swan Hotel, Southwold
- 7:30pm: Celebrity Song Recital, St Edmund’s Church, Southwold
11th October 2014
- 10:30am: The Tippett String Quartet, Holy Trinity Church, Blythburgh
- 3:00pm: Poetry and Music, The Jubilee Hall, Aldeburgh
- 7:30pm: Orchestral Concert, St. Bartholomew’s Church, Orford